View the web version of this email.
Office of the President
Dear Graduate Center community,

I write to let you know that I’ve decided to step down as president of the CUNY Graduate Center effective Sept. 29, 2023.

It has been my honor and privilege to serve the students, faculty, and staff of the Graduate Center, who are committed to the belief that knowledge is a public good. Among the things that drew me to the Graduate Center were its steadfast commitment to academic freedom and excellence, the depth and breadth of its scholarship, and its reputation for preparing diverse students to become leaders in education, research, and public service.

I came to the Graduate Center at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic when we were also facing tremendous fiscal challenges. Through creative pedagogy, dedicated mentoring, and increased philanthropy, our students were able to persist and complete their degrees. We have continued to attract extraordinarily talented students and faculty. As a team, we have balanced the institution’s budget and strengthened fiscal planning processes, which will support our continued success in the years to come. The Graduate Center was named the second-most gender diverse higher education institution in the country for its representation of women in positions of senior leadership. We secured an additional $3 million in annual funding to increase doctoral student stipends. And our faculty have been awarded many multi-million-dollar grants to support education, training, and research.

As co-chair of the CUNY Graduate Education Taskforce, I take pride in the group’s efforts to increase understanding of the CUNY graduate education consortium, and to identify strategies that can strengthen and expand academic and professional degree programs and provide broader access to CUNY graduate degrees.

I want to thank the Graduate Center Foundation Board of Trustees, the members of my senior staff, the faculty serving in leadership roles, and everyone at the GC for their support. I particularly would like to express appreciation to our brilliant graduate students and alumni, who inspire us every day.

I will work closely with Chancellor Matos Rodríguez during this time of transition and look forward to continuing to advance our mission as a member of the CUNY faculty.

Sincerely,

Robin L. Garrell,
President
CUNY Graduate Center | 365 Fifth Ave | New York, NY 10016
www.gc.cuny.edu

Click to unsubscribe from Community Notice for Students, Faculty, or Staff.